Retirement Housing

Residential services (boarding houses and hostels for seniors and aged rental accommodation)

Retirement villages differ from supported residential service facilities, such as private boarding houses and hostels for seniors and aged rental accommodation. These other facilities provide rental accommodation and, in some cases, personal care to older people and people with disabilities.

They may also provide special services, such as meals, linen, cleaning, assistance with medication, showering and finances, for a contracted weekly payment.

Residential service facilities are regulated by the Residential Services (Accreditation) Act 2002. They are privately operated and do not receive government funding.

Retirement villages are premises where a community of seniors live in independent living units or serviced units and share common facilities and amenities.

They cater for retirees and older members of the community who can live independently. In some villages, personal care and support services can be purchased for a fee.

Retirement villages may be owned by:

  • commercial operators
  • charitable, religious or ethnic not-for-profit organisations.

They don’t receive government funding.

View a list of registered retirement villages.

The Qld Govt has recently developed a website to compare Retirement Villages. There’s a lot to consider when deciding on a retirement village. Get the facts to help you choose your next home.

Residential aged care facilities

Retirement villages differ from residential aged care facilities (formerly known as nursing homes). These are facilities that provide various levels of supportive care, and are administered and operated under the Commonwealth Aged Care Act 1997. An aged care assessment is required for entry to these facilities.


Skip to content